Sr. Human Factors Engineer (Remote)
Seeking a qualified candidate to join a team working directly with the Veteran Health Administration (VHA) Human Factors Engineering (HFE) office to optimize both clinician and Veteran user experience with Health Information Technology (HIT) products. The team designs and evaluates system user interfaces (UI) that enhance effectiveness and satisfaction, minimize mental workload, support clinician decision making, maximize clinical workflow efficiency, improve patient safety, and enhance quality of care.
The HFE office responds to customer requests for HFE services and initiates studies or other activities where a need for knowledge is perceived. While all work undertaken uses an HFE method or technique, the subject of studies varies significantly in terms of content area and number of participants. For example, projects can range from very low level of effort (e.g., heuristic evaluation of a mobile app) to high (e.g., rapid ethnography study to understand and document nursing workflow). Some engagements are known in advance (support for mobile application and next generation electronic health record (EHR) design and testing); other needs will emerge throughout the period of performance (examples of ad hoc support provided in recent months included an Ebola exposures template and an ethnographic study of clinical information system and anesthesiology recordkeeping system).
The Senior Human Factor Engineer (HFE) will maintain a deep understanding of industry trends and apply this state-of-the-art knowledge in designing and executing studies to evaluate the usability of HIT products. The successful candidate is capable of coordinating, leading and conducting any type of VHA HFE office work, for example user needs analysis, task flow analysis, user interface design, formative and summative usability testing and statistical data analysis. The individual in this position will strategically plan and coordinate engagements to successful completion, amidst the unique constraints of the VHA environment while ensuring the fulfillment of all applicable standards. Adept at visualizing how design changes made to products will affect the user, this person will apply their problem-solving skills to devise ways to redesign products so that they won't harm or frustrate the user. As experienced facilitators, he or she also has strong communication skills and savvy to seamlessly function in the government environment and to explain human factor issues to development teams, program offices and end users. This individual also participates in projects of moderate to high complexity, managing technical and programmatic issues to a successful conclusion. S/he will enable the continued provisioning of human factors services by HFE to other VHA program offices as well as support for HFE-initiated studies.
The HFE office provides services to several unique customer/stakeholder entities to include projects and programs such as Connected Health and Veterans Health Information Systems and Technology Architecture (VistA) Evolution (VE), as well as others that may emerge.
Key Project Tasks
The Senior HFE will be part of the team that provides HFE support services that may include:
- User Needs and Context Analysis
- User-Centered Design, Mobile Certification Reviews
- Human Factors Validation Testing
- User Centered Design Planning
- Maintenance and Development of Human Factors Methods and Tools
- Data Analysis and Synthesis Reporting
- User Experience (UX) Guide Development
- After Action Reviews (AARs)
- Project Coordination (this work is expected to be continuous during the period of performance).
This role will serve as a team member as part of the contractor staff that includes human factors engineers distributed throughout the United States. This candidate will conduct work at contractor site (or other approved offsite location) and coordinate with team members via virtual workspace, web and video conferencing, conference calls, MS Lync, and email. The candidate will report to the Program Manager for the project.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work/Location
This is a full-time position; typical work days and hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM. This is a remote/teleworker position. Candidate is expected to participate in daily scrums and all day virtual work space.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in engineering psychology, human factors engineering, experimental psychology, cognitive psychology, industrial engineering or a related field; and a minimum of eight years of relevant industry experience.
- Additionally, strong experience working in a government consulting environment is required.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Masters from an accredited university in engineering psychology, human factors engineering, experimental psychology, cognitive psychology, industrial engineering or a related field; and a minimum of eight to ten years of relevant industry experience.
- Previous experience with the VA and/or HIT Systems.
- Experience with Agile development approaches and methodology preferred.
- Strong Project Management experience.
- Strong stakeholder management skills.
- Knowledge and experience with modern, proven development tools and standards, such as
- ProPath, iRise and/or Balsamiq
- Adobe Suite (including Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat)
- Adobe Connect
- PSPP (open source version of SPSS)
- Strong technical writing skills desired with an emphasis on APA style and presenting complex concepts into clear, digestable information.
- Knowledge and experience with mobile technologies and responsive design preferable.
- Knowledge and understanding of sociotechnical systems a plus.
Security Clearance (if applicable): Current and/or recent VA security clearance preferred. At a minimum, the candidate must have the ability to successfully secure VA clearance.
The candidate must understand and comply with the following documents:
- (NISTIR 7742) Customized Common Industry Format Template for Electronic Health Record Usability Testing
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO) standard 9241 part 11 Ergonomic requirements for office work with visual display terminals (VDTs) (ISO 9241-11)
Job Status: Contract/Temporary