Catering Director - Tuskegee University
Supervisory Responsibilities: Manages associates in the Catering Production, Catering Sales, and Catering Lead Functions. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these functions. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Supervises Through Subordinates: The catering staff. Dotted line supervision of the catering production staff.
Summary: Responsible for ensuring that catering operations meet required operating standards and financial goals. Responsible for all catered functions from origination of the order through the delivery and pick-up of the function. Identifies client/guest needs and interacts in a positive, proactive manner. Works on a consistent basis with catering personnel to generate new business and maintains contact with present accounts. Responsible for ensuring that customer complaints are appropriately handled and rectified. Oversees daily-catered functions. Oversees the maintenance of adequate equipment, product, and decoration inventories. Plans menus, layout, decor, and booking entertainment (when appropriate) for catered events. Responsible for operating the Catering department within the budget.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned
- Interacts with Food Service Director.
- Develops and implements catering service standards and standards of operation for the department.
- Positive, proactive interaction with guests and clients.
- Acts as liaison between Thompson Hospitality and client representatives. Monitors daily operations of the catering department.
- Responsible for the coaching, counseling and progressive discipline of associates in the department.
- Conducts timely and appropriate performance appraisals and salary reviews for catering associates.
- Ensures that department employees are trained in and follow standard procedures for food safety and sanitation and maintaining a safe work environment.
- Prepare and submit annual budget for the department, making logical and prudent business decisions for the department.
- Recruit and stabilize a strong team.
- Interact with the Food Service Director and Executive Chef in planning menus for catered functions.
- Establishes and maintains accurate tracking systems for catered events.
- Disseminates information to all concerned department heads and staff members through preparation and distribution of detailed function sheets at regularly scheduled intervals.
Responsible for ensuring proper presentation, portion control, and maintenance of proper serving temperatures — follows HACCP standards.
- Maintains sanitation and orderliness of all equipment, supplies and utensils within work area.
- Handles food items appropriately during preparation.
- Keeps display equipment clean and free of debris during meal service as assigned.
- Cleans equipment, as assigned and in a timely fashion.
- Cleans workstation thoroughly before leaving the area for other assignments.
- Represents company in a courteous, efficient, and friendly manner in all customer and employee interactions.
- Interacts with customers in a manner to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Greets customers courteously.
- Serves customers quickly; Does not allow back-ups in serving lines.
- Serves customer food and beverage orders quickly, in proper portions, in a courteous demeanor.
- Demonstrates a complete understanding of daily menu items and explains same to customers accurately.
- Relays relevant comments from customers directly to supervisors.
- Interacts with customers and resolves customer complaints in a friendly and service oriented manner.
- Consistently exhibits the ability to keep up with peak cafeteria hours and does so calmly, accurately and efficiently
- Checks to ensure that all display foods are merchandised attractively per standards
- Serve food neatly and attractively per standard
- Ensures corporate and OSHA safety standards are followed
- Follows principles of sanitation and safety in handling food and equipment.
- Cleans up spills in the server, dining area, his/her own work area immediately.
- Completes shift work, as assigned, in a timely and thorough manner in accordance with department standards
- Informs chef, supervisor, in a timely manner when supplies are low. Follows and observes all company policies and procedures.
- Follows company standards for attendance and punctuality.
- Always maintains professional appearance, clean and well-groomed in accordance with company standards.
- Develops a positive working relationship with fellow workers and customers and avoids conflict.
- Assist other functions as needed.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Background Clearance: Must be able to pass criminal background check.
Education And/or Experience: Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as discounts and interest. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze and interpret general food service documents, memos. Ability to read software operations manuals.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Disclaimer: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outside weather conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud.
All employees are responsible for maintaining a hazard free environment for themselves and our customers. All employees are required to wear personal protective equipment (goggles or eyewear, gloves and aprons) when handling chemicals or other hazardous substance or when assisting in first aid.
Employees may be required to use certain mechanical, electric, sharp, heat producing, and other potentially dangerous equipment while performing job responsibilities. Employees will be instructed in the proper use, function and maintenance of all kitchen related equipment. See your supervisor for specific training procedures.