Data Center Operations Engineer
SCOPE: The Data Center Operations Engineer (DCOES) is responsible for monitoring and maintaining the availability of all batch and online system tasks as a whole to ensure proper functionality, system availability across 2 Mainframes and distributed environments, and an expansive storage implementation which is foundational to all internal core systems and systems hosted for the Federal Employee Program National Health Care System as well as other business partners. The DCOES provides monitoring and availability support to over 3,200 servers supporting over 5,000 associates at 20 locations. The DCOES will alter existing or new jobs and job schedules using the CA7 Scheduling package(s). Will provide administrative support and assist in system administration efforts for software products and services within Enterprise Data Center Services (EDCS).
- This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree – IT Technology Field or equivalent experience/training and a minimum 5 years related experience in data processing in a mainframe, mid-range and distributed computer environment.
- Previous experience should include operational monitoring of multi-mainframe-systems and distributing platform computing with experience in providing first/second level problem resolution in a fast-paced environment, and dealing directly with clients in the resolution of these problems.
- The individual must have strong experience in Z/OS Operating System and Operational Software.
- Working knowledge of standard Microsoft Office products is required.
- Ability to work within the UNIX and Windows environments using basic commands to navigate system availability and problem investigation.
- Provides project management support for Enterprise Data Center Services and IT Operations, which includes properly following a project life cycle, the development and updating of project plans, completing all appropriate documentation and notifications in order to obtain resolution within the established timeframes.
- Must possess strong knowledge and skills in CA7 Job Scheduler functionality.
- Preferred: ITIL Foundations Certification, Data Center Management Professional Certification (CDCMP), Project Management Professional Certification (PMP).
- Thorough knowledge of CA7, CICS, DB2 BASICS, DFHSM, FTP, HMC, ISPF, JCL, JES2, NDM, NET MON, OPS MVS, SAR, TMON, TIVOLI, TPX, AFP, TSO, Visio, MVS Utilities, CLIST and REXX.
- Base UNIX and Windows commands and structure.
- Knowledge of DB2 commands, functions, control tables and DB2 subsystems, DB2 Stored Procedures and some understanding of data sharing.
- Strong CA7 skills to create and alter new and existing jobs and job schedules.
- Experience in meeting project deliverables on time with quality results.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and analytical skills.
- Capable in diagnosing and resolving complex problems using experience and standard tools and methods such as creating system dumps, trace analysis, and vendor support.
- Strong written and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain composure while working under pressure during major network and system emergencies.
- Proven ability to work within a team of technical and business professionals and work independently.
- Must be adaptable to change and able to coach less experienced staff.
- Knowledge to monitor and modify HSM, and manage ICF catalogs. Understanding of DFSMS, DFHSM, IDCAMS, VSAM, TSM, and ABARS concepts.
- Knowledge with SAN technology and distributed storage management concepts.
- Ability to assist in Network monitoring activities.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP, VTAM, and Network Topology.
Job Status: Contract/Temporary