Director of Environmental Services
The purpose of this position is to manage and direct Supervisors, Housekeepers, Lead Custodians, and Lead Housekeepers in providing optimal custodial service on the specified college campus. This person will direct the daily activities of EVS personnel and the Union in Washington DC.
May be responsible for one or more of the following:
- Designate shift and area work assignments for Group Leaders and Custodial Staff.
- Deploy staff to assigned areas; ensuring custodians are prepared for work.
- Assigns relief custodians to fill in for absentee workers.
- Develops project schedules and manage EVS budget.
- Maintains or coordinates adequate supply inventory.
- Conduct quarterly Supply Inventory. Manages effectively any pilferage.
- Ensures equipment is properly used and maintained.
- Conduct customer surveys to ensure customer's needs are met.
- Conducts daily documented inspections with supervisors, employees and customers, and takes immediate corrective action as warranted.
- Immediately reports safety concerns and takes corrective action.
- Frequently (Semi-annual or quarterly) evaluates the performance of all Supervisors, Lead Custodians and the custodial personnel as assigned under their jurisdiction.
- Surveys all assigned areas daily to ensure the highest level of custodial service.
- Spot - Inspects each employee's work to assure high quality and productivity standards are met.
- Takes immediate action to correct, train and coach employees as warranted by unsatisfactory performance.
- Recognizes outstanding performance and reports this to Director.
- Conducts classroom type and on-the job training for all custodial personnel.
- Supervises special assignments and requests as stipulated by the Facility Director and/or other authorized administrators.
- Instructs Supervisors or other personnel to perform duties necessary to maintain assigned area in a clean, pleasant sanitary condition.
- Collaborates with Director of FM on all custodial/maintenance concerns to communicate clearly what steps are needed to be taken to address and solve problems or issues
- Takes care of all custodial concerns that are not within the operating scope of the Supervisor.
- Makes certain that the Central Control area is open and ready for the next shift
- Addresses and completes written requests and provides Director of FM with a response concerning actions taken.
- Responsible for the accuracy for the timesheets/ punches of assigned personnel.
- Assures that work request sheets are turned in to office at the end of each shift.
- Evaluates and counsel’s employees about job performance.
- Maintains all pertinent records, reports, and other paperwork as needed.
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
- Responsible for P&L.
- Responsible for overall direction of EVS unit.
- Ensures proper training for all EVS staff.
- Ability to provide leadership, training of subordinates and directing work performance.
- Thorough knowledge of cleaning methods, materials, infection control principals, safety practices, equipment use and maintenance.
- Must be able to strategically assess and audit the most efficient way to systematically clean a 75-building campus.
- Ability to operate and train custodians in the use of mechanical cleaning equipment and cleaning tools.
- Ability to perform manual tasks requiring moderate physical strength. Prolonged standing and walking necessary.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to speak and understand basic English
- Ability to work as part of a team or independently, using own initiative.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious working relationships with supervisors, fellow co-workers, staff, faculty, students and the public.
- Ability to give directions and instructions in a concise and understandable manner.
- Ability to observe work of others and to make constructive suggestions for improvement.
- Ability to read reports and correspondence and to complete forms and reports.
- Ability to lift and carry weights of approximately forty-five pounds.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus 10-15 years of EVS/Custodial experience in education and/or healthcare.
- Experience managing budgets in excess of $10M.
- Supervisory experience 200+ employees.
- General business acumen.
- Ability to provide courteous customer service.
- Ability to stand, bend, stoop, kneel, reach, lift, pull, push, and walk for a minimum of four hours or more.
- Ability to lift at least 45 lbs using safe lifting techniques.
- Ability to work in unpleasant environment with exposure to weather, dirt, dust, sewage, odors and hazardous materials.