We are in immediate need of an Infrastructure Architect for our client in the Reston, VA area. The work environment is a commercial bank, not a retail bank. Excellent reading, writing and verbal communication is required. The right candidate will also have experience drafting proper documents for a professional (executive) audience. Very rarely (a few times a year) the infrastructure architect might need to take a 40 lbs. server, lift it into a rack and then connect power/networking cables. Due to strict auditing policies, we have a culture of following our SDLC, ITIL Change/Incident/Management processes, producing quantitative monthly KPI’s , and having a mature risk management methodology.
Desired Technical Skills
- Co-Lo data centers at Savvis and Equinix.
- Rack mount HP DL 3xx servers as well as legacy Oracle/Sparc Solaris systems that are being retired.
- Microsoft Windows and RHEL servers running as guests in a vsphere cluster environment as well as some legacy Solaris physical hosts.
- Backend CISCO Nexus networking equipment, and CISCO MDS Fiber Fabric connected to EMC VNX and XtremIO storage.
- Familiar with IPSEC VPN, F5 Firewalls, Checkpoint Firewalls.
- Avamar Backups, RecoverPoint for replication.
- Splunk, SCCM/SCOM, Uptime, WUG for monitoring/alerting.
- End user systems are mostly zero clients accessing VDI Windows Desktops in Vmware Horizon.
- VOIP phone systems, and IPC Turrets
- Custom software using Apache, JBoss, Java, ColdFusion, Sybase DB’s, MS-SQL, Active Directory.
- Must be familiar with LAN/WAN networking fundamentals, DNS, LDAP, SAML, SSL certificates, DHCP.
- Knowledge of Unix Admin functions
- DevOps experience such as creating RPMs, software/system integration, glue, maintenance scripts, monitoring scripts, cron jobs, and reporting/auditing data collection.
- Experience managaging the RHEL Satellite in-house software RPM library, and help with SVN code repository administration.
- At times we have critical system issues, performance bugs, or outages, that require priority troubleshooting, resolution and problem remediation. We call in our infrastructure Architect as an IT person with cross-discipline knowledge to help fit the puzzle together. This person is expected to have fundamental knowledge of networking, network protocols, common application layer protocols, operating systems, storage, hyper visors, and security controls that can do that. This means that vendor specific knowledge isn’t a necessity, but having a broad understanding (and experience with) the fundamentals of enterprise IT from end to end is what we are looking for.
- Whereas our Systems Administrators and Systems Engineers are frequently assigned discrete tasks, the Infrastructure Architect may be assigned novel problems to investigate. Good candidates must be able to investigate, analyze, and research previously unfamiliar IT related topics.
- The candidate must be able to clearly, completely, and succinctly present logical summaries of the investigation, the analytical approach, and a conclusive description of well governed and sustainable solutions to such problems.
- The ideal candidate will have experience estimating project resources, durations, and compiling alternative comparative TCO analyses in a format suitable for presentation to executive management.
- A computer science degree from a strong CS university, who also has a 3-5 years experience working in a well governed IT environment,
- 3-4 technical certifications from the following list: RHCA, CISSP, CCNP, VCP, EMC-Certs is preferred
Job Status: Contract/Temporary